The way we recommend people to call & text is through the internet. We offer an internet based phone number that can call, text, receive voicemails, and has international calling through JMP.chat. This service starts at $2.99 a month, and you receive your first month free through Above Privacy Suite.
Before you follow this tutorial, you will need:
- An XMPP account (If you registered for Above Privacy Suite, you have the account - your username will be 'firstname.lastname@example.org')
- The Cheogram App (this comes default on the Above Phone, if you don't have it - look at our installing apps article)
Getting a Number
Note that all JMP numbers are either US or Canadian numbers. JMP does not provide 911, 112, 999 or other emergency services over voice or SMS.
- Visit https://jmp.chat
- Search and choose a specific JMP number that you like (area code, city, etc.)
- Once you have selected a number, click on 'I already have a Jabber ID I want to use for this number'
- Enter your Jabber ID (this will send a message to your XMPP account)
Setting Up JMP.chat with Cheogram
After finishing the previous step in the web browser, you should automatically have received a message from the contact cheogram.com to your XMPP address - this is the automated bot service of Cheogram. By interacting inside this chat window you can effectively register, configure and manage your virtual phone number.
We recommend you to completely update your Cheogram app to the latest version (updates are supplied through F-Droid - check this article for instructions).
That way you will have a smoother experience by just clicking on the commands shown inside the chat window (inside the COMMANDS tab).
On a similar note, please be aware that Cheogram is still new and developing rather quickly - some of the details may be different with newer app versions.
Let's continue to see how to set up your virtual phone number:
- Open your Cheogram app and then the chat window with cheogram.com.
- In the CONVERSATIONS tab, please type: register jmp.chat
- Next, choose the currency for your account balance by typing:
1 (for Canadian Dollars)
2 (for US Dollars)
- If you have Above Privacy Suite, you're done and ready to use your first month of trial! After that, you will have to top up manually to keep using the service.
If you don't have Above Privacy Suite, you will already need to top-up your credit (credit card, Bitcoin, cash by mail). Please follow the prompts from the bot.
Congratulations! You have successfully registered your JMP number. You will receive a notification from Cheogram.com.
You can further manage your account with the specific commands. Type help in the CONVERSATION tab to see the text-based commands. Make sure that credits are sufficient if you wish to use JMP number for a longer period (you will only be able to receive calls if your account is active) and to cover international calling rates (more details here).
For more info on Cheogram / jmp.chat, be sure to check their website.
Personal support is also offered by their team - the options and contact info are listed in Q7. of the FAQ.
In order to add contacts manually:
- Click on the 'Message' symbol at the bottom right
- You will be directed to 'Available Conversations' in Cheogram
- Click on the '+' symbol at the bottom right & click on 'Add Contact'
- Enter the mobile number of the person you wish to add under the Jabber ID field
- Specific format: 'email@example.com'
- Country code is included in the mobile number
- Example: '+firstname.lastname@example.org'
- This contact maps to the real phone number. When you call/text that contact, you call/text the real number.
- You can edit the contact details to change the displayed name
Texting & Calling
- Navigate to the 'Available Conversations' menu in Cheogram
- Click on a contact
- Make sure to choose 'TLS' as the encryption type by clicking on the 'Lock' symbol on the top right (NOTE: This is encryption for your connection to the JMP.chat server - it doesn't protect your phone calls or text messages from cellular service providers)
- To text, simply start typing your message; To call, click on the 'Phone' icon on the top right & choose 'Audio call'
Note that all texts & calls through GSM are NOT encrypted.
Receiving Texts & Calls
When you receive a text or call, a notification from Cheogram will appear. Simply Accept/Decline the call or open the Cheogram app to view messages.
Once you have called someone with your JMP number, you can integrate your native dialer app on the phone to allow calls from your JMP number
First, make sure that 'cheogram.com' is added an XMPP contact. You may have to confirm this when adding by pressing the 'Add Anyways' button. You need to ensure that cheogram.com contact is added and is showing as online.
- Open your native dialer app
- Click on the '3 dots' on the top right
- Select 'Settings'
- Find 'Calling Accounts' in the Settings
- Enable your XMPP account to make calls
- Go back and set your 'Default Calling Account'
- Note that your Default Calling Account may be reset after rebooting the phone, always set it after rebooting your phone. This is a bug and will be fixed eventually.
Enjoy your new system for calling and texting! Let us know how much you appreciate it on our support line or in our community group.